Project: join.me Support Site UX/UI Redesign
LogMeIn’s product support team wanted to reduce costly email and call volume by providing a better self-help experience for customers who visited the knowledge base, help.join.me.
I contributed to the project in a variety of ways, including:
- UX Research & Analysis
- UX/UI Design (artboards, low/high fidelity wireframes, user flows & prototypes)
- Testing & QA
- Project Management
Customer Care leaders, Product Marketing and Sales Operations managers were key stakeholders. Marketing provided personas and the brand strategy. Sales Ops provided the platform developers and SalesForce admins. Content was provided by the Product team.
UX Research & Analysis
In order to design an experience that would meet both business goals and user needs, it was important to understand whether users wanted to self-serve or not and the pain points of the current user experience that was preventing them from self-serving on the knowledge base.
I collected and analyzed data from a variety of sources including web traffic from Google Analytics, case types from SaleForce, usability tests of the current site, customer phone surveys, LogMeIn agent and stakeholder interviews and in person customer focus groups.
User pain points in the current experience were identified and key takeaways were summarized and presented to the product and support teams to gain support for the project. In summary, customers shared that they preferred to self-serve or chat instead of calling or emailing support.
Design goals and success criteria (KPIs) were determined based on the analysis.
Users will be able to…
- find the answers to their questions quickly through self-help
- contact support in the method of their choosing
- maintaining or decreasing current email volume
- maintaining or improving current CSAT
- achieving a channel shift of phone and email volume to self-help
Wireframes, Mockups & Prototypes
Our goal was to guide users to the best support channel that would help them get the answers to their questions quickly while also deflecting top call drivers into the contact center. When self-help (a knowledge base article) did not answer the customer’s question, the user was presented with the channel that would best address their question (email, phone or chat) based on case-type analysis.
Looking at competitor web sites and best-in-class examples of knowledge bases built on the same SalesForce Communities platform that we were going to use, I created a low fidelity wireframe of the key elements and layout of each of the types of pages (home page, article, search results, contact us). I then mocked up the desired UI in Adobe Photoshop.
I shared the initial design files with the development team to guide them in building the dev site. The dev site was used to rapidly test whether the concept could work on the platform (“is this possible?”) and the effort involved.
In order to communicate to development the desired user interactions on the site, I created click-through prototypes in Invision that showed the ways users would engage with knowledge base. I showed how the channel options should behave (call us, email us, chat with us) in the contact support flow and on articles according to the topics and reasons displayed (case types).
The prototype I built in Invision demonstrates the complexity of the contact support flow:
Development & Testing
Throughout the development phase, I coordinated feedback from the business to the development team and provided clarifications and approvals as they progressed. Often we had to return to the original design and refine what experience we could provide in the first external iteration (the MVP=minimum viable product) due to the discovery of technical constraints on the new platform (SalesForce Communities) and other blockers.
The new user experience dramatically reduced email and phone volume originating from the support web site and improved customer satisfaction by 7 percentage points.